Accountability Lab Liberia catalyzes a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders. We train, mentor, and resource citizens to strengthen systems of accountability to unleash positive social and economic change. The Lab also strives to reinvent the way that development organizations operate through radical transparency, context-appropriate reporting, and creative awareness campaigns.
The Accountability Lab is a non-profit organization based in Washington DC with a locally registered office in Liberia that has four staff members. The Lab is incubating six “accountapreneurs”, (entrepreneurs promoting accountability through creative means in Liberian politics and media) and is a leading civil society partner in Liberia’s Open Government Partnership. Accountability Lab Liberia also co-founded and is located at iCampus, Liberia’s first co-working community designed for individuals and organizations focusing on the intersection of technology, accountability and social change.
The Temporary Program Manager (TPM) will be a key, senior member of the Accountability Lab Liberia team, ensuring that day-to-day operations and events are successful. S/he will first and foremost help to ensure the Lab can deliver on ongoing projects in terms of management, data collection, reporting and oversight. These projects include a focus on citizen engagement/feedback on public services with the World Bank; the development of a gender-related advocacy effort with the Government of Canada; and support to the Open Government Partnership (OGP) process in Liberia. S/he will also support the use and further development of internal grant management systems and coordinate with the Finance Manager on grant-related financial issues. The TPM will work in close coordination with the Country Director of Accountability Lab Liberia, who is the office’s most senior manager and externally-focused representative, responsible for business development, outreach, and relationship management.
- Ensure Accountability Lab programs are delivered to the highest quality and on-time;
- Ensure all relevant indicators are met, and data is collected to report to donors accordingly;
- Draft reports/inputs for reports for the senior management team on key activities;
- Support successful organization of events and subsequent follow-up with key stakeholders.
Management and Systems Strengthening
- Use and support internal processes to ensure efficient operations and program management;
- Understand and where possible, support the Lab’s financial and administrative guidelines, and other key financial risk management safeguards and controls;
External Reporting and Coordination
- Ensure the Financial Manager has the information needed to provide regular financial and programmatic reporting to senior management in the US;
- Liaise directly with the Accountability Lab Country Director and global team on all relevant matters including the Lab’s priorities.
Above all, this position requires excellent project management, attention to detail, inter-personal and organizational skills. Accountability Lab Liberia has the potential to grow very quickly and the successful candidate will need to have the energy, vision and networks to help us ensure we manage that growth effectively. The successful candidate will also need to be able to work with a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity. We seek a demonstrated record of assuming significant professional responsibility and delivering on management goals with integrity and humility.
- BA degree in Public Administration, Management, Business, or related social science field and 4-8 years of experience in relevant roles. An MBA or other relevant graduate degree is highly desirable, as is work experience elsewhere in the world.
- Experience managing programs and teams for non-profit organization in Sub-Saharan Africa in compliance with international standards;
- Experience working with/within donor organizations including close familiarity with donor reporting systems, requirements, timelines and structures;
- Experience conducting trainings and mentoring professionals;
- Significant experience using Microsoft Office;
- A pro-active leader, communicator and team player;
- Adaptable, resourceful, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solve both big picture and day-to-day issues;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clarity and professionalism to all relevant stakeholders in clear English (staff, board, donors, regulators, and auditors);
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration.
Duration: A 4-month initial contract (mid-August to mid-December). Possibility of extension dependent on funding and performance.
Reports to: Accountability Lab Liberia’s Country Director
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Compensation: $1 200 per month.
Application Instructions: If interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to Katie Fuhs ([email protected]) before close of business on September 23, 2019.