Integrity Idol South Africa is looking for young aspiring filmmakers and photographers to assist award winning South African based film, photography and media agency, Makhulu, to develop short films of this year’s Idols. Integrity Idol is a non-partisan national campaign run by the Accountability Lab to find, celebrate and connect honest public servants. We’re looking to name and fame everyday heroes working in Education, Health, Safety & Justice who are doing the right thing even when no-one’s watching.
What is the Integrity Idol Film Fellowship?
The Integrity Idol Film Fellowship is a two-month immersive learning opportunity aimed at developing the next generation of ethical filmmakers. Fellows will support the campaign team to film and edit short documentary-like pieces of our top five finalists in their workplaces and broader communities across the country.
Here’s what you’ll get:
- Workshops focusing on digital storytelling, the media and film industries, and reframing anti-corruption and accountability work
- An opportunity to learn about ethical filmmaking in South Africa
- Hands-on mentorship from Makhulu team and Accountability Lab staff
- A monthly stipend
- Transport, food, and accommodation to cover production around South Africa
Here’s what we need:
- Three Production Film Fellows
- Must willing and be able to commit to full-time work and travel around South Africa in mid-June to mid-July. Travel and accommodation will be provided by Accountability Lab.
- Must be a hard worker with a desire to learn more about producing, location sound, directing, shooting videos with DSLRs, portrait photography, location lighting, interviewing, producing, passion for ethically engaged storytelling with a keen interest in the documentary genre.
- Must be fluent in at least three South African languages.
- Preferred candidate: basic skill/experience in one of the above areas.
- Two Post-Production Film Fellows (based in Cape Town)
- Must be able to commit to at least 20 hours per week
- Must be interested in learning story editing, motion graphics, colour correction and/or sound design.
- Must have basic skill in Final Cut, After Effects, and Photoshop
To apply, please complete submit an application here by Thursday May 30.
About Integrity Idol South Africa
Integrity Idol South Africa was launched by Accountability Lab and partners, including the Nelson Mandela Foundation, LifeCo UnLtd and Democracy Works Foundation in South Africa in 2018. The campaign draws upon its successful implementation since 2015 in Nepal, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
In 2019, Corruption Watch joined as a campaign partner, expanding our growing network supporting public service accountability and integrity.
Founded in 2004, Makhulu is an award-winning film, photography and media agency based in South Africa. We strive to produce content that is visually engaging and personally empowering. We select our projects carefully because we believe that purpose takes precedence over profit. We partner with ethically inclined companies, organisations and individuals to tell stories that matter – stories that inspire audiences all over the world to actively participate in positive social change.
About Accountability Lab
The Accountability Lab is building a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders around the world. We support change-makers to develop and implement positive ideas for integrity in their communities, unleashing positive social and economic change.
For more information, contact:
Senior Program Officer: Accountability Lab
e-mail: [email protected]
Rabia Abba Omar
Non-Profit Management Fellow: Accountability Lab
e-mail: [email protected]