Terms of Reference: Marketing and Communications Fellow
The Accountability Lab is a global civil society organization that catalyses a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders around the world. We train, mentor and resource citizens to strengthen systems of accountability in order to unleash positive social and economic change. Accountability Lab South Africa has been operating for a year and has a staff of 3 with a network of partner organizations around SA and beyond.
Accountability Lab is recruiting a Marketing and Communications fellow, based in Johannesburg, South Africa. S/he will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Take high-quality photographs and videos of Accountability Lab’s projects;
- Monitor, coordinate and contribute engaging posts to the Lab’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts on a daily basis;
- Assist in coordinating content schedules with different country offices and communications staff;
- Provide research, writing, editing and design assistance for a variety of outputs including blog posts, articles, press releases, reports, newsletters, presentations, grant proposals, infographics and programme documents;
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the Lab’s various programmes in South Africa, including Integrity Idol SA, training seminars and related advocacy activities.
- Provide updates and edits to the Lab’s website;
- Maintain databases of the Lab’s media contacts and publications.
This fellowship presents an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience helping a dynamic and innovative nonprofit grow, while building an impressive portfolio. In addition to a monthly stipend of R15 000, we will provide you with access to wide global networks, opportunities to pitch your ideas, access to training and conferences for your professional growth, and writing and publishing opportunities in key media outlets and blogs (previous Fellows have been published by Foreign Policy, Huffington Post, and World Politics Review).
The Accountability Lab is a small and fast-paced work environment, so the fellow will need to be adaptable, self-motivated and able to multi-task. Beyond this, candidates for the position should be able to demonstrate the following:
- A commitment to the mission and values of Accountability Lab, as well as awareness and understanding of accountability issues around the world;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail;
- Significant experience using Microsoft Office and various forms of social media;
- Strong creativity and graphic design skills;
- Superb relationship-building and organisational skills;
- Previous work experience;
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject.
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa.
Duration: The Fellow will be expected to serve for one year from date of hire, with a flexible start date.
Next Steps: If interested in the position please send a cover letter, CV and writing sample to Sheena Adams at [email protected].