Terms of Reference: Strategic Communications Officer
Accountability Lab catalyzes a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders. We train, mentor, and resource citizens to strengthen systems of accountability to unleash positive social and economic change. The Lab also strives to reinvent the way that development organizations operate through radical transparency, context-appropriate reporting, and creative awareness campaigns. The Accountability Lab is a non-profit organization based in Washington DC with locally registered offices around the world.
The Strategic Communications Officer will be responsible for drafting and editing reports, press releases, communication products (success stories, flyers, posters, leaflets, booklets, etc.) and other documents as required. Must show demonstrated ability to convert technically complex concepts into plain language. S/he will develop the project public relations strategy to enhance effective communication of the project interventions to partners and the general public. S/he will oversee all aspects of the project branding as well as effective communications of the project to partners and the general public, including the development and maintenance of a project media outreach strategy. Additionally, s/he will prepare background communication and promotional materials for briefings and visits of media and other special interest groups and assist in the planning, logistics and administrative arrangements for them.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in communications, public relations or journalism preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in a similar or related position, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Prior experience building and implementing ongoing executive and internal communications plans working with senior level management
- Results driven and takes pride in executing flawlessly on projects small and large
- Supports teamwork and collaboration
- Demonstrated excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, and the highest quality presentation and speech-writing skills
- Familiar with newer methods of communications
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with all others
- Demonstrated mastery of social media
Eligibility: The Accountability Lab is not able to sponsor work visas. Please only apply if you currently have a right to work in Harare.
Location: Harare with extensive travel across Zimbabwe and internationally as needed.
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with skills and experience.
For more information or to apply, please send a cover letter, CV and salary expectations to [email protected] before October 28.