|Job Title||Communications Manager|
|Place of Work||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Prior Experience||5+ Years|
|Reports to||Executive Director|
|Manages||Communications for Accountability Lab|
|Relationship to others||Work closely with the DC staff and Accountability Labs in Pakistan, Nigeria, Liberia, Nepal, Mali and South Africa|
|Compensation||Negotiable, commensurate with experience|
The position offered will form part of the Accountability Lab’s (the Lab) efforts to catalyze a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders around the world. We train, mentor, and resource local change-makers to strengthen systems of accountability and unleash positive social and economic change.
Who You Are:
You can skillfully and energetically conceptualize and execute high impact communications outputs including, but not limited to: newsletters, campaigns, events, presentations, messaging and supporting brand establishment in new markets. You are able to interface with staff in multiple countries, are very organized and can assist with report writing, editing, financial management etc.
You have a command of the latest and greatest in terms of communications tools and mediums and are not afraid to try them out. You love taking initiative and helping others be the best that they can be. You collaborate with cultural sensitivity. You learn, adapt and push yourself and are confident enough to work with us to shape the narrative around issues of accountability, anti-corruption and open government. You are passionate about developing your skills and are keen to play a key role in developing, improving, adopting, and sharing best practices and innovative approaches to these issues around the world. You listen to constructive feedback, aim for improvement, and give yourself room to feel satisfied with what you’ve accomplished. You think out-of-the-box and 10 steps ahead. You love taking ideas and running with them. You can complete projects without an exact roadmap for how to get them done and thrive on taking initiative and ownership and have a demonstrated ability to multi-task. You have shown an interest in global politics and economics and understand the importance of governance.
You understand that the unexpected is a regular part of your day, and you bring solutions to the challenges you encounter.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To implement the Lab’s communications in the context of the Advocacy, Organisational Learning & Knowledge Management, and Behaviour Change and Communication strategies;
- To report on the progress of the communication work plan including the coordination and delivery of its outputs;
- To develop communication messages relevant to the programmes and the Lab’s work and streamlining AL messaging;
- Support the team responding to other emerging tasks as may be required.
- Support programme staff and partners in documenting human-centred stories using a variety of audio, visual and social media tools;
- To support the recording and documenting of best practices in approaches, methodologies and techniques;
- To support design and oversight of internal and external communication and media work of AL to reach out more effectively to target audiences;
- To develop media communication for print media, newsletters and social media;
- To monitor and analyse the Lab’s coverage in the media;
- To review and monitor progress of outreach opportunities and take follow-up actions to build support for the Lab’s cause;
- Build capacity of the Lab’s affiliate teams to develop and implement communication and learning strategies, including through virtual mentorship, coordination and training;
- Assist with the development of communications budgets.
- Ensure that the Lab’s branding is consistent across all the affiliates;
- Organise the Lab’s communication actions, campaigns and events;
- Conduct reviews of the Lab’s communication strategies and plans.
Reporting and Documentation
- Support the Lab’s teams to develop monthly newsletters;
- Work with the learning manager to collaboratively develop impact metrics around communications for donor reports including the annual impact and learning report;
- Efficiently and systematically capture, develop, store, retrieve and share knowledge around communications to achieve programme objectives.
Learning and Sharing
- Package and share documented learnings and practices with the Lab’s staff across all locations;
Contribution to Effectiveness of the Accountability Lab
- Work collaboratively across all teams to strengthen integration of communications tools within the organization.
- A BA in Communications, Public Affairs, Political Science or a related field.
- At least 3 years’ experience in communications in a social sector or development organisation;
- Experience within an international work environment and with intercultural communication;
- Demonstrable experience with various media channels and clear evidence of impact when running communication programs or campaigns.
- Demonstrable experience working in a related field, with a track record in producing lively, powerful and readable materials to a consistently high standard, encouraging participation, buy-in and support for a good cause.
- Experience with packaging information to target different audiences;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with the ability to convey the Lab’s mission appropriately to a range of audiences, and with strong editorial skills and an eye for detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and a knowledge and willingness to build understanding across cultures;
- Adaptable and responsive disposition relative to the demands and development of the programme.
- Expertise in the use of social media and demonstrable experience in using social media to grow audiences and increase traffic.
- Excellent IT skills, with a particular aptitude for website development and management, as well as expertise in using design programmes (such as Adobe Creative Cloud, InDesign, Photoshop or similar).
- Competence in the use of database applications
- An interest in and sound knowledge of development or accountability issues around the world.
- Self-motivated and proactive with an ability to prioritise and manage a sometimes conflicting workload, and absorb large amounts of information easily and accurately.
- The maturity to analyse complex and comment on sometimes politically sensitive issues against a multi-cultural backdrop.
- The ability to work as part of a team, helping to develop and work towards shared goals and objectives.
- Willingness to work beyond normal work day at crucial times
- Demonstrate willingness to take the initiative, be creative and contribute to overall goals. Knowledge of French or Spanish, will be an added advantage.
PLEASE NOTE: This position will be based in our Johannesburg affiliate. Only South African citizens and those with a right to work in South Africa should apply. The Accountability Lab will not be able to sponsor a work permit.
Please include a cover letter expressing your interest in the role and the Accountability Lab along with salary expectations by 15 DECEMBER 2018 to start in early January 2019. Cover letters should be addressed to Jean Scrimgeour – [email protected]