Accountability Lab Liberia catalyzes a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders. We train, mentor, and resource citizens to strengthen systems of accountability to unleash positive social and economic change. The Lab also strives to reinvent the way that development organizations operate through radical transparency, context-appropriate reporting, and creative awareness campaigns.
The Accountability Lab is a non-profit organization based in Washington DC with a locally registered office in Liberia that has five staff members. The Lab is incubating six “accountapreneurs”, (entrepreneurs promoting accountability through creative means in Liberian politics and media) and is a leading civil society partner in Liberia’s Open Government Partnership. Accountability Lab Liberia will soon be located in the dynamic, new offices of the iCampus, Liberia’s first co-working community designed for individuals and organizations focusing on the intersection of technology, accountability and social change. This space will enhance the ongoing work of the Lab by providing a physical and virtual hub for customized training; a networking and innovation hub for civil society, business and government actors; and a focal point for elections and open governance work.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will be a key, senior member of the Accountability Lab Liberia team, ensuring that day-to-day operations and events are successful. S/he will first and foremost help to build the capacity and coordination of the Accountability Lab staff, focusing on training, mentoring, and management to improve outcomes. The COO will also be responsible for the oversight of robust financial and grant management systems for Accountability Lab Liberia, ensuring timely and high quality reporting. To strengthen external oversight, the COO will help to engage the Board of Directors and will assist with preparations for annual audits and international donors’ requirements. The COO will be an essential, core member of the Accountability Lab team in Liberia and will serve as the primary point of contact on Liberian initiatives to the Lab’s Executive Director in Washington, DC. The COO will work in close coordination with the Country Representative of Accountability Lab Liberia, who is the office’s most senior manager and externally-focused representative, responsible for business development, outreach, and relationship management.
Management and Systems Strengthening
- Mentor, train, and invest in the professional growth of Accountability Lab staff and Accountapreneurs. A particular emphasis will be placed on managing budgets, professional communication, the planning phase of programming, internal delegation, adherence to timelines, and reporting results;
- Develop internal processes to strengthen management of staff, internal communication and coordination, efficient operations and program management;
- Provide structured oversight for the Lab’s trainings and events, including strengthening systems to plan and coordinate implementation;
- Enforce the Lab’s financial and administrative guidelines, and other key financial risk management safeguards and controls;
- Check financial systems and forecast costs on a monthly basis.
External Reporting and Coordination
- Manage regular financial and programmatic reporting to senior management in the US;
- Direct timely programmatic, financial and compliance reporting for all grants, ensuring the accuracy, integrity, and high quality of all submissions;
- Liaise directly with the Accountability Lab Executive Director and Liberian Board of Directors on all relevant matters including the Lab’s priorities.
Above all, this position requires excellent management, attention to detail, inter-personal and organizational skills. Accountability Lab Liberia has the potential to grow very quickly and the successful candidate will need to have the energy, vision and networks to help us expand. The successful candidate will also need to be able to support and motivate a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity. We seek a demonstrated record of assuming significant professional responsibility and delivering on management goals with integrity and humility.
- BA degree in Public Administration, Management, Business, or related social science field and 7-10 years of experience in relevant roles. An MBA or other relevant graduate degree is highly desirable, as is work experience elsewhere in the world.
- Experience managing programs and teams for non-profit organization in Sub-Saharan Africa in compliance with international standards;
- Experience working with/within donor organizations including close familiarity with donor reporting systems, requirements, timelines and structures;
- Experience conducting trainings and mentoring professionals;
- Significant experience using Microsoft Office, Quickbooks, and Salesforce;
- A pro-active leader, communicator and team player;
- Adaptable, resourceful, self-motivated and able to prioritize in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to problem-solve both big picture and day-to-day issues;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clarity and professionalism to all relevant stakeholders (staff, board, donors, regulators, and auditors);
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration.
Duration: One year with the possibility for renewal
Reports to: Accountability Lab’s Executive Director
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Compensation: We are a small organization with a limited budget, but we are committed to paying a competitive rate commensurate with skills and experience.
Application Instructions: If interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to Anne Sophie Ranjbar at [email protected]. Qualified candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis.